The Victim Support worker reports directly to the R.C.M.P. based Northeast Regional Victim Services Coordinator. The Victim Support Worker (VSW) is responsible for:
- Crisis Response: The VSW will respond at the time of the crisis and assist with the immediate needs of the victim.
- Information: The VSW can give victims information about the status of the police investigation, the justice system, court procedures and services available in your community.
- Referrals: The VSW can help victims decide on what services, if any, the victim may need and make a referral to the appropriate government or community agency. Examples of these services may be financial advice, legal advice, or even short or long term counseling.
- Victims Compensation: The VSW can provide information about eligible expenses and assist with the application forms.
- Victim Impact Statements: The VSW can assist victims
with the filling out of a Victim Impact statement, can answer questions
regarding the statement and ensure that it is presented to the court if
an accused person is found guilty.
- Court Support: The VSW can assist victims if they go to court. The VSW will work with the Crown Prosecutor and the police to answer victims questions, help victims prepare for court, accompany victims to court if they wish, and ensure that victims are informed about court dates and outcomes.